Today, Richmont is a fast-growing, Christ-centered graduate school providing a master’s-level training in Christian counseling. We remain active in both the Atlanta and Chattanooga communities, where our campuses are located.
Richmont’s legacy of excellence began in 1933 when the Chattanooga Bible Institute (CBI) was founded to support local churches and their various ministries. CBI serves the Chattanooga community faithfully by providing training, counseling, library resources and support for clergy and laity of all denominations.
In 1973, a group of Christian mental health professionals, who had begun exploring the integration of Christian faith and professional counseling, established the Atlanta Clinical College. After opening a counseling center, they partnered with a major state university to offer advanced professional training and research within a Christian context. This organization became known as Psychological Studies Institute (PSI).
In August 2000, CBI and Psychological Studies Institute merged. The combined strength of the organizations, under the PSI name, led to accreditation in June 2003 by the prestigious Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS), one of the nation’s premier bodies for the accreditation of institutions of higher education. After accreditation, the school experienced significant growth and was renamed Richmont Graduate University in September 2008. At that time, trustees of the school voted to create within Richmont the School of Counseling and the School of Psychology, Psychological Studies Institute.